Cisco's CSR vision is to build environmental sustainability into each business function and process. When IT companies make sustainability an integral part of technologies, products, and solutions, we better protect our planet while creating business value for our suppliers, our customers, and our own bottom line.
Energy and Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reduction
Cisco efforts include aggressive targets to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from our operations and suppliers worldwide. In 2012, Cisco completed two 5-year GHG emission reduction goals and announced 5 more targets in 2013. In fiscal year 2014 we:
- Installed 3 solar photovoltaic (PV) systems at facilities in Texas and Bangalore, India, that will produce 2 million kilowatt hours of electricity annually, saving over $380,000 and preventing more than 1150 metric tonne of carbon emissions each year
- Achieved a 30% absolute reduction in Scope 1 and 2 GHG emissions worldwide, from a FY07 baseline.
- Reported that 100% of our key manufacturing and logistics suppliers reported their GHG emissions to Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP).
Energy Efficient Products
About 90 percent of Cisco product emissions occur during use. That’s why we focus on designing products, power supplies and integrated circuits to be energy efficient, and creating collaborative solutions to help our customers reduce their emissions.
- Energy management: EnergyWise and JouleX reduce energy consumption in commercial and residential buildings. Connected Grid improves utility grid management.
- Remote collaboration: Cisco TelePresence, WebEx, Jabber, and Unified Communications bring people together, significantly reducing business travel.
- Teleworking and mobility: Cisco Virtual Office, OfficeExtend, and Cisco Connected Workplace rethink work environments to reduce facilities needs, employee commuting emissions, and make more efficient use of office space.
- Cloud and data center: Hosted Collaboration Solutions, Unified Computing System, and Nexus products increase the utilization of data center network and server resources and minimize energy consumption.
Technology Product End-of-Life Planning
Product Takeback and Recycling programs provide customers a no-cost way to manage their electronic waste.
- Maximized product life through service, refurbishment, and reuse.
- Reduce the demand for virgin raw materials by recycling metal and plastic commodities.
- Essentially 100% of electronics received are repaired and reused or recycled.
Environmentally friendly business practices can reduce business risk, improve reputation, and drive market opportunities. Cisco business policies have reduced our environmental footprint while making a positive impact on our bottom line. By setting high standards for our emissions reductions goals and transparent reporting, Cisco leads by example.
- We received the 2016 Climate Leadership Award for Supply Chain from the US Environment Protection Agency recognizing our achievements in mode shift, packaging improvements, the deployment of energy management digitization technologies and our active engagement of supplier and partners to set emission reduction goals.
- Top score of 100 for disclosure on the CDP (Carbon Disclosure Project) annual climate survey two years in a row (2013 and 2014)
- 7 years on CDP’s Disclosure Leadership Index and 5 out of 6 years on CDP's Performance Leadership Index
- Donations of collaborative and networking technologies reduce the environmental footprint of our community partners.
Environment Case Studies
Cisco CSR environment programs multiply impact worldwide.
CSR Report: Environment
Download the Cisco CSR Report and read the Environment section.